Frequently Asked Questions

Street Department

Frequently asked questions submitted by the Street and Alley Department.

Question:  Will the City fix my driveway by the curb?


Answer:  The only part of a driveway that the City is responsible for is the City’s sidewalk that runs through (or across) the drive. The actual drive and approach from the street (or curb) to the sidewalk is the property owner’s responsibility.


If you want to install, enlarge, or modify your driveway approach in any way, you must obtain a permit from the Building and Safety Office located at City Hall. There is no charge for the permit.


Question: How do I get trees on City property or right-of-way trimmed or removed?


Answer: All you have to do is call the Street Department at 217-732-4655 and give them your address and let them know which tree needs attention (if you have more than one). The Street Superintendent will come out and look at the tree or trees in question. If the tree is deemed hazardous the tree will be dealt with immediately. If it is not a hazardous tree, the tree trimming crew will take care of it timely fashion. The City does have a tree trimming program that runs during the winter months.


For more information on the City ordinances regarding trees, please consult Title 8, Chapter 8 of the City Code (which can be found on the City’s website).



Question:  I see people shooting their grass into the street from their mowers.  Is it OK to do this?



Answer:  No, it is not, for two reasons.  First, it is against City ordinances.  City Code 8-3-6 states the following:


It shall be the duty of every person owning or occupying any lot or parcel of land adjoining any public or private alley in the city to keep the same clean and in an inoffensive condition, and also keep the gutter in front, behind, or beside the premises owned or occupied by him, or under his control, free from filth or other offensive matter, including, but not limited to, landscape waste or leaves, that may prevent the free flow of water therein.  No property owner, occupant or any other person shall place, rake, or blow any leaves or landscape waste in any of the public street gutters adjoining their property owned, occupied or at which a person is working for hire or as a volunteer.


Violators of this ordinance can be fined not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than four hundred dollars ($400.00) for each offense.  The City Police Department issues tickets for these offenses.


Second, as the ordinance points out, blowing grass and/or leaves into the street can clog catch basins which then prevent storm water from properly draining off the streets.  Flooded corners can be traffic hazards and excessive storm water can find its way into basements and crawlspaces of your house or your neighbors.


Please either bag your grass or blow it back onto your yard.



Question: What can I do to get my sidewalk fixed in front of my house?


The sidewalk that runs from your house to the street (if you have one) is your responsibility. The sidewalk that runs across the front or side of your property along the street is the City’s responsibility. You can contact the Street Department at 217-732-4655 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you think the condition of your walk constitutes an immediate hazard and the Street Superintendent will come out and look at the walk to determine its condition.


If your sidewalk is not deemed an immediate hazard, but you feel it needs to be repaired, you will need to pick up a sidewalk petition form from the Building and Safety Office on the 1st Floor of City Hall. When completing the form you’ll need to list the location and dimensions of the sidewalk in question. Be sure to check the box on the form that lets the City know if you will be doing and paying for the work yourself ,if you will be doing do the work and asking the City to reimburse you, or asking the City does the work at their expense.


When the form is complete, return it to the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall. Once the petition is filed, the Sidewalk Committee of the City Council will discuss it at their nest Tuesday workshop session. Following action by the Sidewalk Committee, the City Council as a whole will vote on the requested repairs at their next voting meeting. You will then receive a letter from City Hall letting you know if the petition was approved or denied.


For more information on this subject, you can review the City ordinances on Sidewalk Construction found in Title 8, Chapter 6 of the City Code (8-6-1 through 8-6-7). The City Code is viewable on the City website:



Information is available on the following sites:
Logan County Current Statistics

Memorial Health System  - Includes daily statistics for MHS and a COVID-19 Risk Screening

Local Business Resources
Logan County Department of Public Health
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)



Contact Information


cityhall smallCity of Lincoln

City Hall
700 Broadway Street
Lincoln, Illinois 62656



Legal Disclaimer

Administrative Assistant
City Clerk
Building and Safety
Street and Alley
Waste Water Treatment
Fire Department
Police Department